I was in a Car Accident in Wichita, How do I Prove it Wasn’t My Fault
Sometimes when people are involved in a car wreck, they are very cordial. In other cases, they aren’t. Some accidents are hit-and-run, while others involve the driver at fault denying responsibility. When this happens, these are the steps you can take to keep from being blamed for an accident that wasn’t your fault.
- Take pictures – Using your cell phone to take pictures of the scene can be used later on to prove your innocence. Not only should you take pictures of your vehicle and the damage, but also of the other driver’s vehicle and the position of the cars at the scene.
- Contact the Wichita Police Department – According to Kansas law, police must be notified if a car accident causes death, serious injury, or property damage. It’s a good idea to contact them even if the damage is small. In addition, many insurance companies require a police report before they will pay out for a claim.
- Exchanging information – Giving the other driver your name, contact information and insurance information is necessary, but any additional information you give them could be used against you later on. Keep any exchanging of information to the minimum.
- Speak to any witnesses – If there are other drivers or pedestrians that witnessed the accident, you may need their statement to prove your innocence. If you are injured and receiving medical treatment, you may ask someone else at the scene to do this for you.
- Don’t refuse medical treatment – Even if medical treatment at the scene isn’t an option, see a medical professional as soon as possible. Follow his/her instruction and always attend follow up appointments.
- Complete paperwork – Fill out all paperwork accurately and in a timely manner. The insurance may deny your claim if you don’t complete everything accurately or submit it late.
In the unfortunate event that you are in a Wichita car accident and you don’t have this information memorized, just download our free car accident app for iPhone or Droid to protect yourself.
At Ray Hodge & Associates, we believe in personal injury handled personally. At our office you see a lawyer from the very first meeting because we believe your case deserves an experience personal injury attorney right from the start.
If you have had a Kansas car wreck injury that was not your fault and need medical treatment, you need an experienced professional who can help you get back on the road to recovery. Call us today at 316-269-1414 or visit our contact page here. Our Kansas personal injury attorneys will provide you a free initial consultation and if we take your case you don’t pay a dime unless we recover money for you. Even then we only take a percentage of the total amount of your recovery.
If you have questions on what you should be looking for when you are making a decision to hire a Kansas personal injury lawyer, read our article located here.
Ray Hodge & Associates proudly represents victims and their families across the state of Kansas, including Wichita, Andover, Derby, Goddard, Haysville, Mulvane, Rose Hill, Newton, El Dorado and Hutchinson. Call today for a free consultation all over the state of Kansas. We have proudly served clients in Sedgwick, Butler, Sumner, Harvey, Kingman and Reno Counties.