Go to navigation Go to content Ray Hodge & Associates, LLC
Ryan Hodge
Connect with me
Personal Injury Lawyer

Could My Child be Sued?

Children can often be reckless and usually don’t think of the consequences of their actions. However, they can still be held responsible, even though it is likely that their parents will be the ones to cough up money for damages.

Liability of a Child

Children over four years of age can be held liable for their actions in a court of law. In some states children between the ages of 4 and 14, are presumed that children are incapable of negligence. In Kansas, if evidence supports that a “reasonable child,” would have recognized the potential dangers of the situation the child can be sued. Kansas also provides that the parent can be sued for the negligent acts of the child under some circumstances. Adult standards also apply to children when in an adult situation, such as riding a jet ski or driving a car.

Should I Hire an Attorney for my Child?

Depending on the state, state laws may hold parents vicariously liable for the acts of their child. Children cannot represent themselves in court, so parents must hire a lawyer.

Could the Rest of My Family be Sued?

Injured parties can sue not only the child, but the parents as well in order to recover damages. Negligent supervision could hold parents accountable for their child’s misbehavior. Being found guilty would hold the child and parents responsible for compensating the injured party.

It is important for not only your children’s future, but also for the well being of the whole family to explain the consequences of breaking the law to your children.

At Ray Hodge & Associates, we believe in personal injury handled personally. At our office you see a lawyer from the very first meeting because we believe your case deserves an experienced personal injury attorney right from the start.

If you have had a Kansas personal injury that was not your fault and need medical treatment, you need an experienced professional who can help you get back on the road to recovery. Call us today at 316-269-1414 or visit our contact page here. Our Kansas personal injury attorneys will provide you a free initial consultation and if we take your case you don’t pay a dime unless we recover money for you. Even then we only take a percentage of the total amount of your recovery.

If you have questions on what you should be looking for when you are making a decision to hire a Kansas personal injury lawyer, read our article located here.

Make sure you download our free car accident app for iPhone or Droid to protect yourself in event of an auto accident.

Back to Top

Ray Hodge & Associates proudly represents victims and their families across the state of Kansas, including Wichita, Andover, Derby, Goddard, Haysville, Mulvane, Rose Hill, Newton, El Dorado and Hutchinson. Call today for a free consultation all over the state of Kansas. We have proudly served clients in Sedgwick, Butler, Sumner, Harvey, Kingman and Reno Counties.