Most people in Wichita have a lot of questions after being involved in a wreck on I-235. Although each situation is different, there are five basic things to expect after being in a wreck on Kansas roads.
1. Report the accident to your insurance company –If you suffered injuries in an accident, it’s important that your report those injuries to your insurance as soon as possible. Also, if you haven’t heard from the other driver’s insurance company, you or your personal injury attorney should contact them.
2. Fault is not determined by the insurance company – The insurance company believes they the power to determine who is at fault. They may try to blame you for part of the accident, even if it wasn’t your fault. This is when having evidence, such as photos of the scene, and hiring an attorney to fight for you is important. In addition, having an attorney can help prepare you for sneaky insurance tactics, such as the insurance calling you for “accuracy purposes,” but really recording a statement to use against you later.
3. Injuries may lead to a “quick payoff” from the insurance – Be wary if an insurance agent shows up at your door with a check. They know if you sign a release and settle for what they’re offering, your claim is closed and you can’t get what you truly deserve.
4. Car repairs are not arranged by the insurance – Arranging to have your car fixed or finding a new car (if your car is totaled) is up to you. Sometimes the other driver’s insurance company will pay for a rental, but don’t count on it.
5. Expect to negotiate – It is unlikely that the insurance company will offer you a fair settlement. They’re looking out for their best interests, not yours. A personal injury attorney is skilled at negotiating for a fair settlement or going to trial. Also, if your car was totaled, it’s possible you may need to negotiate for the insurance to find you an comparable car in your area.
If you have had a Kansas car wreck injury that was not your fault and need medical treatment, you need an experienced professional who can help you get back on the road to recovery. Call us today at 316-269-1414 or visit our contact page here. Our Kansas personal injury attorneys will provide you a free initial consultation and if we take your case you don’t pay a dime unless we recover money for you. Even then we only take a percentage of the total amount of your recovery.
If you have questions on what you should be looking for when you are making a decision to hire a Kansas personal injury lawyer, read our article located here.
Ray Hodge & Associates proudly represents victims and their families across the state of Kansas, including Wichita, Andover, Derby, Goddard, Haysville, Mulvane, Rose Hill, Newton, El Dorado and Hutchinson. Call today for a free consultation all over the state of Kansas. We have proudly served clients in Sedgwick, Butler, Sumner, Harvey, Kingman and Reno Counties.