Go to navigation Go to content Ray Hodge & Associates, LLC
Ryan Hodge
Connect with me
Personal Injury Lawyer

How To Start a Workers Comp Claim

When you’re hurt on the job, you are eligible under Kansas law to receive compensation for medical bills, including doctors, hospitals, physical therapy, chiropractors, home care and equipment. It also pays for missed wages because of your injury or illness. However, it’s important that you file your claim quickly or it could be denied. Here’s what you need to know about filing a workers comp claim.

In Kansas, you are required to notify your employer of your injuries within 10 days of the accident. Some situations that would allow exceptions include:

  • If the nature of the accident occurred as a single event or if it developed gradually.
  • Whether the injured employee was aware of the injury they sustained.
  • The nature and history of the employee’s symptoms.
  • Whether the employee was aware of the requirements for reporting a work related accident.

When notifying your employer of your injury, it is important to include relevant details such as the date, time, place of the injury and how the injury occurred. If available, having a list of witnesses could help your claim as well.

Notifying your employer could be as formal as providing a written statement or email about the injury or informal, such as mentioning to your boss that your back hurts.

Once you have notified your employer, the employer should submit a report to the state worker’s compensation board and contact the insurance company. At this point, the insurance carrier should be able to start paying an injured worker’s medical bills, as well as payment of temporary disability checks.

Since a workers compensation claim can be denied, consulting with your personal injury attorney can help assist you with the workers compensation process. If your claim has been denied, you can appeal with the state workers’ compensation board or industrial commission.

If you’re scared your boss might fire you for filing a claim, read this article.

If you have had a Kansas work place injury that was not your fault and need medical treatment, you need an experienced professional who can help you get back on the road to recovery. Call us today at 316-269-1414 or visit our contact page here. Our Kansas personal injury attorneys will provide you a free initial consultation and if we take your case you don’t pay a dime unless we recover money for you. Even then we only take a percentage of the total amount of your recovery.

If you have questions on what you should be looking for when you are making a decision to hire a Kansas personal injury lawyer, read our article located here.

Make sure you download our free car accident app for iPhone or Droid to protect yourself in event of an auto accident.

Back to Top

Ray Hodge & Associates proudly represents victims and their families across the state of Kansas, including Wichita, Andover, Derby, Goddard, Haysville, Mulvane, Rose Hill, Newton, El Dorado and Hutchinson. Call today for a free consultation all over the state of Kansas. We have proudly served clients in Sedgwick, Butler, Sumner, Harvey, Kingman and Reno Counties.