Go to navigation Go to content Ray Hodge & Associates, LLC
Ryan Hodge
Connect with me
Personal Injury Lawyer

Workers Comp is explained by a Wichita personal injury attorney

When you’re hurt on the job, Kansas laws state that you are eligible to receive compensation for medical bills, including doctors, hospitals, physical therapy, chiropractors, home care and equipment. It also pays for missed wages because of your injury or illness. However, the insurance company gets to direct your medical care unless they abuse that right. If you go to an unauthorized medical provider you only have $500 in coverage.

How can I tell when I’m covered by workers comp?

Employers are required to carry worker’s compensation coverage if they have more than $20,000 in payroll in a year. If they don’t have insurance you can still get coverage under what’s called the second injury fund.

When am I covered?

As long as you are working or doing something requested by your boss, you will be covered by Workers Compensation. The rule is anything that arises in and out of the scope and course of employment. This generally does not cover driving to and from work or walking from a company parking lot to work.

What if I’m scared that my boss will fire me for filing for Workers Comp?

Your boss cannot retaliate against you for filing a workers compensation claim. However, if you don’t file a claim and your injuries prevent you from doing your job correctly, your boss could fire you and you wouldn’t have a documented claim of your injuries.

Your boss may tell you that your injury isn’t covered by workers comp, but always check with a lawyer!

If you have had a Kansas work place injury that was not your fault and need medical treatment, you need an experienced professional who can help you get back on the road to recover. Call us today at 316-269-1414 or visit our contact page here. Our Kansas personal injury attorneys will provide you a free initial consultation and if we take your case you don’t pay a dime unless we recover money for you. Even then we only take a percentage of the total amount of your recovery.

If you have questions on what you should be looking for when you are making a decision to hire a Kansas personal injury lawyer, read our article located here.

Back to Top

Ray Hodge & Associates proudly represents victims and their families across the state of Kansas, including Wichita, Andover, Derby, Goddard, Haysville, Mulvane, Rose Hill, Newton, El Dorado and Hutchinson. Call today for a free consultation all over the state of Kansas. We have proudly served clients in Sedgwick, Butler, Sumner, Harvey, Kingman and Reno Counties.