Go to navigation Go to content Ray Hodge & Associates, LLC
Ryan Hodge
Connect with me
Personal Injury Lawyer

I received a letter from my insurance company demanding reimbursement. Do I pay them?

After your case is settled, not all of the work is done. Many times insurance companies that paid for your medical expenses or wage loss will demand to be reimbursed. Often times they will make demands for money that does not legally belong to them. Your insurance company may send you a letter saying they are entitled to some reimbursement. Just because they say this doesn’t mean it’s true. Only a qualified personal injury attorney can tell you what you really owe.

Just because your case is settled, doesn’t mean all the work is over. There are several situations where you may still owe money out of the money the insurance company sent you. Typically, the insurance doesn’t inform you about these situations.

You may have to repay others in the following situations:

  • A military benefit plan paid your bills

  • Your bills were paid by Medicare or Medicaid

  • You have unpaid medical bills

  • Your bills were paid by an ERISA-Governed group health benefit plan that is self-insured

  • Any Federal government employee health benefit plan paid your bills

  • Your automobile paid bills under your personal injury protection policy

Remember, because your car insurance isn’t affected by any of this, they probably won’t mention it.

If your insurance is seeking money from you, they will most likely send you a letter. Any letter you receive should be closely examined to make sure the bills included in the claim actually occurred. It’s important to understand that if your insurance company isn’t reimbursed for these bills, they may not pay for any future medical bills. Of course, they can also sue you.

If you receive a letter from the insurance company following your settlement, it is important to fully read and understand what they are requesting. It may take a meeting with your personal injury attorney to completely know what you are required to pay. However, most of the time your attorney will make sure all this is taken care of before you get your portion of the settlement. In fact, most of the time the insurance company you settle with will require that you agree to pay off all liens out of the settlement.

If you have had a Kansas car wreck injury that was not your fault and need medical treatment, you need an experienced professional who can help you get back on the road to recovery. Call us today at 316-269-1414 or visit our contact page here. Our Kansas personal injury attorneys will provide you a free initial consultation and if we take your case you don’t pay a dime unless we recover money for you. Even then we only take a percentage of the total amount of your recovery.

If you have questions on what you should be looking for when you are making a decision to hire a Kansas personal injury lawyer, read our article located here.

Make sure you download our free car accident app for iPhone or Droid to protect yourself in event of an auto accident.

Back to Top

Ray Hodge & Associates proudly represents victims and their families across the state of Kansas, including Wichita, Andover, Derby, Goddard, Haysville, Mulvane, Rose Hill, Newton, El Dorado and Hutchinson. Call today for a free consultation all over the state of Kansas. We have proudly served clients in Sedgwick, Butler, Sumner, Harvey, Kingman and Reno Counties.