Go to navigation Go to content Ray Hodge & Associates, LLC
Ryan Hodge
Connect with me
Personal Injury Lawyer

To Accept or Not Accept the Insurance’s Settlement

If you have spent much time reading up on personal injuries and how insurance works, you are most likely aware of the insurance companies low-ball techniques. You may have even found your insurance carrier on our Top Five Worst Insurance Companies list. So you may wonder if the settlement the company offers you is acceptable or if you should be searching for an attorney. So if you’re wondering if you should accept the settlement, read how your offer could potentially increase.


Take the time to go online and find a comparable vehicle to the one totaled. Look at the model, year, condition and miles. A good way to estimate the value of your car is to go to Kelley Blue Book’s website. If what the insurance company is offering you isn’t close to the ballpark figure that Kelley Blue Book says your car is worth, you have the option to negotiate with the adjustor agent. You have the right to make the insurance company find you a comparable car for the price they are offering, in your area.

Acquire Documentation

Maintenance receipts, photos of the car’s condition and receipt’s of add-ons, such as expensive rims or an aftermarket stereo system, can all increase your cars value. Proof that you have routinely taken the vehicle in for maintenance or photos that show an absence of dents and scratches also help add to the value.

Add Up Your Costs

Make sure you calculate all costs from your accident. This includes the major bills like medical bills, lost wages and vehicle repairs and the minor costs such as a bus fare or alternate transportation methods while your car was unusable. All costs related to the accident are relevant and could increase your settlement if covered by your policy.

Pain and Suffering

If you are truly injured, ask for compensation for pain and suffering. The worst that can happen is you are denied. Be prepared for this request to be the most arguable aspect of your claim. If possible, include documentation and written proof from your doctor stating your injuries.

Your insurance adjuster will have some leeway to increase your offer, but it will not decrease. Always treat a settlement like a negotiation from the start. If your negotiation with the insurance doesn’t result in an offer you believe is fair, always remember you can decline the settlement and go to court.

This is the area where an attorney can have the greatest impact on the value of your case.

For more information on how to handle a Wichita property damage claim, click here. Go here to check out the top 10 questions you should ask before accepting a settlement.

At Ray Hodge & Associates, we believe in personal injury handled personally. At our office you see a lawyer from the very first meeting because we believe your case deserves an experienced personal injury attorney right from the start.

If you have had a Kansas car wreck injury that was not your fault and need medical treatment, you need an experienced professional who can help you get back on the road to recovery. Call us today at 316-269-1414 or visit our contact page here. Our Kansas personal injury attorneys will provide you a free initial consultation and if we take your case you don’t pay a dime unless we recover money for you. Even then we only take a percentage of the total amount of your recovery.

If you have questions on what you should be looking for when you are making a decision to hire a Kansas personal injury lawyer, read our article located here.

Make sure you download our free car accident app for iPhone or Droid to protect yourself in event of an auto accident.

Back to Top

Ray Hodge & Associates proudly represents victims and their families across the state of Kansas, including Wichita, Andover, Derby, Goddard, Haysville, Mulvane, Rose Hill, Newton, El Dorado and Hutchinson. Call today for a free consultation all over the state of Kansas. We have proudly served clients in Sedgwick, Butler, Sumner, Harvey, Kingman and Reno Counties.