Go to navigation Go to content Ray Hodge & Associates, LLC
Ryan Hodge
Connect with me
Personal Injury Lawyer

What should I do after I’m in an accident with a hit-and-run driver?

Sometimes, even in the friendly city of Wichita, someone involved in an auto accident may chose to hit-and-run. Even though this is illegal in every state, it happens quite often. Hit-and-run accidents are common in parking lots, such as Wal-Mart or Town East Mall, where drivers think no one saw the accident. If this happens, the other person involved in the accident is left not knowing what to do or how to handle the claim. Fear not, the underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage protects you against hit-and-run drivers as well.

What should I do after I’m in an accident with a hit-and-run driver?

First, do not chase after the driver. Instead, try to memorize the license plate and description of the car to add to the accident report. If any witnesses are at the scene, ask them what details they remember and if they can verify the license plate number as well. Because you may be shaken up from the accident, often witnesses offer a more accurate description and details of what happened. In order to make a claim for damages caused by a hit and run driver it is critical that there be evidence other than your testimony that this is what happened. That’s why getting witness statements is so critical.

Steps to take after the accident

After checking to make sure no one is hurt and addressing any medical needs, you should call 911 to file a police report. The police need every piece of information you can gather to help find the hit-and-run driver. Secondly, contact your insurance to let them know of the accident. Do NOT sign any auto release form given to you by an insurance agent. Next, contact your personal injury attorney at Ray Hodge and Associates to discuss your options when it comes to your insurance settlement. Insurance companies will try to lower your settlement, which often won’t cover medical bills and other needs. To read what happens when you sign an auto accident release, click here.

Unfortunately, not all hit-and-run drivers are found. Even so, you are still protected. Don’t let hit-and-run drivers or insurance companies get the best of you in these adverse situations. Contacting a personal injury attorney not only helps get the restitution you deserve, but gives you a knowledgeable friend during this scary time.

If you have had a Kansas car wreck injury that was not your fault and need medical treatment, you need an experienced professional who can help you get back on the road to recovery. Call us today at 316-269-1414 or visit our contact page here. Our Kansas personal injury attorneys will provide you a free initial consultation and if we take your case you don’t pay a dime unless we recover money for you. Even then we only take a percentage of the total amount of your recovery.

If you have questions on what you should be looking for when you are making a decision to hire a Kansas personal injury lawyer, read our article located here.

Back to Top

Ray Hodge & Associates proudly represents victims and their families across the state of Kansas, including Wichita, Andover, Derby, Goddard, Haysville, Mulvane, Rose Hill, Newton, El Dorado and Hutchinson. Call today for a free consultation all over the state of Kansas. We have proudly served clients in Sedgwick, Butler, Sumner, Harvey, Kingman and Reno Counties.