Go to navigation Go to content Ray Hodge & Associates, LLC
Ryan Hodge
Connect with me
Personal Injury Lawyer

What To Do if Your Vehicle is Totaled

Car accidents, even ones that don’t result in serious injury to the passengers, can result in severe damage to your car. Even low velocity wrecks can cost thousands of dollars to fix. This happens every day to people of Wichita, Hutchinson, Derby or Salina and if you are not sure how to handle insurance agents and protect your legal rights, a free consultation with a personal injury attorney might be a smart move.

Finding out your car was totaled can be scary. You probably don’t know what to do, you may not even know what “totaled” means. At Ray Hodge & Associates, we dedicate our time and resources to helping citizens of Kansas after a car wreck.

What does “totaled” mean?

If damages to your car amount to more than your car is worth, it qualifies as totaled. The insurance company won’t pay for your car to be fixed, since it will actually cost them more than the value of your car.

Property damage claims are rarely accepted by an attorney because there really isn’t enough value to involve a lawyer. But, this doesn’t mean you have to accept whatever the insurance company is offering you for your car. If you believe the insurance company is offering you less than your car is worth, you can negotiate with your agent. You have the right to make the insurance company find you an equitable car for the price they are offering, in your area.

What to do after your wreck

After having a mechanic confirm that your car is totaled, find the value of your car. An easy way to estimate the value of your car is to go to Kelley Blue Book’s website. If the insurance company is offering you less than the cash value of your car, negotiate for them to find you a similar car for the price they are offering. Proving that you have made any upgrades to your car can also add value. Examples would include adding upgraded wheel rims or detailing on the exterior, all which can be proved by showing receipts.

If you have had a Kansas car wreck injury that was not your fault and need medical treatment, you need an experienced professional who can help you get back on the road to recovery. Call us today at 316-269-1414 or visit our contact page here. Our Kansas personal injury attorneys will provide you a free initial consultation and if we take your case you don’t pay a dime unless we recover money for you. Even then we only take a percentage of the total amount of your recovery.

If you have questions on what you should be looking for when you are making a decision to hire a Kansas personal injury lawyer, read our article located here.

Make sure you download our free car accident app for iPhone or Droid to protect yourself in event of an auto accident.

Back to Top

Ray Hodge & Associates proudly represents victims and their families across the state of Kansas, including Wichita, Andover, Derby, Goddard, Haysville, Mulvane, Rose Hill, Newton, El Dorado and Hutchinson. Call today for a free consultation all over the state of Kansas. We have proudly served clients in Sedgwick, Butler, Sumner, Harvey, Kingman and Reno Counties.