Go to navigation Go to content Ray Hodge & Associates, LLC
Ryan Hodge
Connect with me
Personal Injury Lawyer

After an accident, who should you see?

It is common to have spine injuries or herniated discs after a car wreck. This can result in lasting back pain for many people and it is an important decision you will make whether to see a chiropractor or an orthopedist. Some believe that although chiropractors don’t have a medical degree, they take the time for adequate therapy. Others believe an orthopedic surgeon is more qualified to handle complex issues like spinal injuries.

Numerous studies have shown that chiropractor treatments do effectively treat back pain. In fact, most acute back pain and misalignment can be solved by seeing your chiropractor. However, some serious conditions need to be treated by an orthopedist.

So how do you know if you need to see a chiropractor or an orthopedist? Here’s a short list of symptoms to determine which treatment you should seek.

Symptoms that are better treated by a chiropractor include:

  • Back pain with related leg pain

  • Numbness or tingling in the legs

  • Weakening muscles of the legs

Symptoms that might be more serious and require a M.D. include:

  • Problems controlling bowel or bladder function

  • Numbness around the genitals

  • Fevers, chills, or sweats with pain

Chiropractors will provide treatment that includes various types of physical therapy treatments called modalities and more importantly they are experts at adjusting the spine. Many a person has been able to avoid back surgery because of the treatment obtained by a skilled chiropractor. If chiropractic treatment does not work, your chiropractor will usually communicate you’re your family doctor. Your family doctor will then arrange for you to see a specialist who will order a round of injections and anMRI. If the injections fail and there are proper findings on theMRI, you may be a candidate for surgery. Back surgery can only be handled by medical specialist.

Although it’s safe to say there are both good and bad chiropractors and orthopedists, one could be more beneficial for you than the other. It is imperative you have a good understanding of the cause of your back pain before beginning manipulations of the spine. Shortly after your accident, not only should you see a doctor in the emergency department, but also follow up with your primary doctor.

Back to Top

Ray Hodge & Associates proudly represents victims and their families across the state of Kansas, including Wichita, Andover, Derby, Goddard, Haysville, Mulvane, Rose Hill, Newton, El Dorado and Hutchinson. Call today for a free consultation all over the state of Kansas. We have proudly served clients in Sedgwick, Butler, Sumner, Harvey, Kingman and Reno Counties.