Go to navigation Go to content Ray Hodge & Associates, LLC
Ryan Hodge
Connect with me
Personal Injury Lawyer

Wichita Small Claims and How To File Yourself

When you have a small claims case, or anything that is less than $4,000, you don’t need to hire an attorney. Filing a small claims case is actually quite simple and we have the instructions on how to do it yourself.

Step #1

The first step is completing the forms needed for a small claims case. The form required can be accessed here.

Step #2

The next thing you need to know is where to go to file your claim. Sedgwick County Courthouse is located at 525 North Main St., 11th floor, Wichita, KS 67203.

Step #3

Filing a claim isn’t free, so be prepared to break out your checkbook. Filing a case will include a nonrefundable filing fee.

  • For claims worth $500 or less, a $49.50 filing fee is required.
  • For claims worth $500.01-4,000, a $69.50 filing fee is required.

Mistakes to avoid

  • Filing before the statue of limitations expires – Kansas statue of limitations expire depending on the situation.
    •  Five years for written contracts
    • Three years for oral contracts
    • Two years for personal injury or property damage
  • Filing at the wrong place – Your case can be dismissed if you file at the wrong location. Claims that should be filed in SedgwickCounty include:
    • If the defendant lives in SedgwickCounty and can be served with a summons here. If the defendant has moved, but lived in SedgwickCounty at the time of the incident, the claim is still filed here.
    • Filing a claim against a company that does business in SedgwickCounty.
    • The property your claim is trying to recover is located in SedgwickCounty

Other potential mistakes include suing the wrong person. Make sure you read the form carefully, which includes the guidelines below:

“You must sue the proper party and serve your claim upon the proper person. You should name as a defendant the person or business that you feel is responsible for payment of your claim. If you are suing an insurance company, you can only sue your own. Otherwise, you will sue the individual. Make sure you have the correct name and address of the person(s) or business you wish to sue.”

If you have had a Kansas car wreck injury that was not your fault and need medical treatment, you need an experienced professional who can help you get back on the road to recovery. Call us today at 316-269-1414 or visit our contact page here. Our Kansas personal injury attorneys will provide you a free initial consultation and if we take your case you don’t pay a dime unless we recover money for you. Even then we only take a percentage of the total amount of your recovery.

If you have questions on what you should be looking for when you are making a decision to hire a Kansas personal injury lawyer, read our article located here.

Make sure you download our free car accident app for iPhone or Droid to protect yourself in event of an auto accident.

Back to Top

Ray Hodge & Associates proudly represents victims and their families across the state of Kansas, including Wichita, Andover, Derby, Goddard, Haysville, Mulvane, Rose Hill, Newton, El Dorado and Hutchinson. Call today for a free consultation all over the state of Kansas. We have proudly served clients in Sedgwick, Butler, Sumner, Harvey, Kingman and Reno Counties.